Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sarah Chang Plays Bruch

Yesterday was Friday, 26 March 10. I went to the Esplanade concert hall to enjoy a wonderful concert. Violinist Sarah Chang presented Bruch’s violin concerto No.1, accompanied by Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) and conducted by Lan Shui.
Sarah Chang is recognized as most captivating and gifted violinist. She was born in Philadelphia, her parents are Korean. She started play the violin when she was four. She worked with many famous orchestras and conductors all over the world and she only record for EMI Classics. SSO is a premier Asian orchestra, it as a music bridge between the Asia and the West. The music director Lan Shui makes the orchestra reach a high level in the world.
Many friends as me, we all have high expectations for this concert. I watched her play when I was young although is not a live concert, I watched it in the TV program. Her play left me a deep impression. I think she is an enthusiasm violinist. I feel so excited that I can have this chance to enjoy her live concert. There were no empty seats in the Esplanade. When the lights turned down, Sarah Chang together with the conductor Lan Shui moved to the centre of the stage, the audience burst into applause. Sarah Chang going to present Bruch concerto tonight which she said is the first concerto she learned when she was five. Bruch’s violin concerto No.1 is well-known, because this piece’s success, his other 100 works were overshadows. This concerto was completed in 1864, after two years it was premiered. It’s not very successful until the version of the work in 1868. The first movement is Vorspiel (Allegro moderato). The dreamlike second movement is Adagio which shows violin’s lyrical qualities. The third movement is Allegro energico, there is perceptible pause throughout this movement, made this movement lively and powerful. The technique of this violin concerto is not difficult for Sarah Chang, so she played to her heart’s content during the concert. The sound she played can touch audience heart easily, because I found she has attractive vibrato. Although it’s not easy to vibrato in the high range of the violin, she makes the violin sing in each note. She has rich experience in the stage, you can found her action it’s very natural and degage. When the phrase finished on a forte note, she usually swings her bow with a perfect circle. You may feel her action is too exaggerated if the first time you saw about it. Also, she swings to and fro on the stage a lot during her play, because she was so excited or emotive to express her feeling about music. Watching her live concert, you can feel her confidence directly. I feel when she gets on the stage, the only thing she thinking about is how to deliver her musical feeling through her violin to the audience, and she believes herself can achieve that. I think it’s very important for a musician to get on the stage with such confidence.
I got her signature after the concert. That’s my nearest distance away from her. I really enjoy this concert.

2 comments:

  1. amazing post....great work,I'm so glad that I can see you really improve a lot especially in the vocabulary.
    I'm also the fans of Sarah Chang.unfortunately,the ticket is too hard to book.
    Anyway,thanks for share!

    Tangrenzhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well considered and composed post Jing. You have really painted a detailed picture of your evening and the concert. The adjectives you have used are varied and appropriate - well done! It has been great to meet you and I wish you all the very best with your studies.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete