Monday, March 1, 2010

Is he too young to conduct?

I watched Gustavo Dudamel conduct Sistema’s top youth orchestra. It’s very fantastic! I found both the orchestra and the conductor are so young!The music they played is not easy but they did it very well! I feel the music they played has much powerful enthusiasm, you totally be infected with them.
As one of the youngest excellent conductor in the world, I think Gustavo Dudamel is a very genius boy who just 29 years old. Some people might think, is he too young to conduct? If I didn’t watch this video, maybe I thought he can not conduct the orchestra well because he’s age, he doesn't have more musical experience compare with the other elder conductors in the word. After I watched the video, I found I’m wrong. When I watched him conducting the orchestra, I found he was very excited, I can feel he has very strong musical feeling in his heart. His conduct gesture is very clearly and decisive, so it’s easy for the orchestra to feel what the conductor wants them to do then they can get the ideas faster. I think the most worshipful spirit from Gustavo Dudamel is he can make the orchestra “dance” with him by using his baton. In the end of the video, the whole orchestra stood up and plays with conductor which is rarely to be seen. Even though Gustavo Dudamel only 29 years old, I don’t think it can be used as an excuse that he can not conduct well in his age. Whether how old the conductor is, he can be an excellent one if he can make the orchestra players feel his feeling about music simply. Then the audience can feel this kind of feeling too. In another word, I don't think we can judge whether a person can conduct or not by just look for his age.
At the end of the video when the last note done, the audience stood up and clap their hands for a long time which can improve how fantastic the concert is! The audience infected with the concert, they like the music the orchestra performed.
Now, do you still distrust Gustavo Dudamel is too young to conduct? I hope him can be better and better in the days ahead.

2 comments:

  1. Very convincing arguments Jing. I particularly enjoyed your description "making the orchestra dance with him". Look at your tense and verb form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I agree with you that he is a fantastic musician and hope he can be even better in the days ahead!
    Thanks for share

    Renzhu

    ReplyDelete