Saturday, January 30, 2010

How does music make me feel

The music I chose is the Meditation from Thais. Thais is an opera composed by Massenet. Mediation is an intermezzo between the ACT I and ACT II of Thais. Although I am not familiar with this opera, but I have heard this piece of music when I was very young. I think many people have heard this piece before, it is a famous violin solo music for concerts. The Meditation is the representative work of Massenet’s as well.

The form of this piece is very simple, is the ABA form. The composer wrote “Andante religioso” in the front of the score. With the limpid Arpeggio are companied, the violin solo play the theme lyrically at the beginning. This famous theme appears many times in the opera. This melody is very peaceful and expressive, it gives a feeling like a young girl is praying religiously. The composer made the violin to play higher register in order to represent this kind of feeling. The dynamic of this theme is piano.
The second part is different from the first part. The key changed from major to minor and there are many unexpected notes. The violin plays more powerful sound than before, because the dynamic is not the piano any more so the emotion of this part is unstable. I imagine that the young girl is confusing about too many ideas that went through her mind.
The theme comes out again at the last third part, the feeling of music calm down after the second part. This time the theme needs to play even softer than the first time, the composer wrote “pp” on the score. This part just like something the young girl hoped comes true. The piece disappear gradually with violin play the overtone, audiences are entranced with such impressive music.
There is the link that Janine Jansen plays the Meditation. I really like the way she played
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MQROKUqMcE

3 comments:

  1. Hi,Duanjing. nice essay and great piece! by the way,I think you also
    need write something about how this piece make you feel,not only
    introduce a piece.
    Thanks!

    Renzhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jing!

    It is nice introduction. I have never heard this piece before. But I will try to hear.

    Dose she snother one violinest that you prefer?

    well. I thought this time you writing that is more better than before.

    Yor are improving! congratulations!


    Friend
    Danying

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow~It likes an kind of analysis. I read a book, the name is Meditation as well, it is amazing, if you are interested in it, you can read as well. I think it is useful!

    ReplyDelete